Don’t mind if snobs say it takes years to master the art of oenology. Dare go to a tasting room and pretend you know what to do.
Here are some basics in wine tasting – at least in California – according to Lonely Planet.
- No smoking.
- No perfume and scented soaps.
- Don’t get drunk. Use the spit bucket.
- Linger over the wine’s aroma and color before sipping.
- No gum chewing.
- Control your criticism – just in case you happen to stand near the winemaker.
- Try unfamiliar wines.
- Ask questions. But if you don’t get assistance, then just leave.
- For picnic at the winery – especially Sonoma Valley – buy a bottle of the host’s wine.
- Don’t get intimidated by snobs.
Thank you, Lonely Planet!